Safety is paramount at the SuSu and Mark A. Fischer ’72 Engineering Design Center (FEDC).
- General shop safety training is provided through our Red Badge Pop-Up Class. Machine specific trainings are provided through associated Pop-Up Classes.
- While following all PPE your work area will need to be kept neat and should be cleaned up after you are done.
- The FEDC operates on a zero-tolerance policy when it involves safety violations. Non-compliance with safety expectations will result in consequences according to FEDC/TAMU policy
- All incidents are to be reported immediately to the staff on duty. Send any information directly to info-FEDC@tamu.edu.
General FEDC Personal Protective Equipment Requirements:
- Long pants – pant leg opening must reach and completely cover the top opening of the shoe to prevent materials from entering. This is to include military fatigues; fatigue pants must be fully pulled out of boot and full pant length extended. Pants should have no holes, deformations, cuffs, cuts or rubouts that will show skin or underclothes.
- Shirts – are defined as fully covering torso to include sleeves that fully encircle the arm and extend from the shoulder down to the top of the bicep or below (E.G. short sleeve t-shirt)
- Closed shoes– are defined as having a hard sole at least 1/4″ thick. Shoes must cover all toes including the sides, and must cover the top of the foot to the ankle from all sides. The heel must be completely enclosed.
- Safety glasses –are defined as clear polycarbonate Z87.1 certified safety glasses that wraparound or have side shields. Safety goggles that are flexible are prohibited.
- No Food or Drink of any kind allowed in the FEDC
FEDC Fabrication Shop and Construction Area PPE Requirements:
- General FEDC PPE
- No jewelry should be worn on your hands, face, head or neck
- Long hair must be tied and stowed under a collar
- No Capri, yoga, 100% rayon, nylon or polyester pants
- 100% Cotton jeans, khakis or sturdy seat pants
- Long-sleeve shirts are to be rolled up to the elbow
- No cellphones or headphones in the fabrication shop unless prior approval is given for academic purposes only
- Welding Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)– will be specified outside of welding area – moved from general to fab shop as that is where it is applicable
PPE Vending Machine
For your convenience the FEDC has partnered with Burgoon to give the students access to a PPE vending machine. It will hold safety glasses (including ones that go over glasses), paper pants, lab coats, as well as other types of basic safety equipment.
The vending machine is located on the second floor of ZACH across from room 248.